Sunday, April 26, 2009

tombs and DEATH

Tomb's "Winter Hours" is very bleak, in a very urban way. On the first track Gossamer they display Neurosis meets Jesu stylings, making me think that this would be a fairly boring standard fare doom release, but as soon as the track switches to "Golden Eyes", imagine my surprise when I hear nigh black metal tremoloing and harsh screams. While this cd is very impressive conceptually, it leaves something to desire in memorability, it becomes extremely hard to tell the songs apart; although I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. This is the soundtrack for our plight right now, for the people who say the end is coming. I can just imagine driving through ravaged Detroit on a dark overcast night listening to this cd and it fitting perfectly. Hypnotic, abrasive, heavy, and almost as much Joy Divison as it is Neurosis/Godflesh. Very much a lonely piece, and as we all know; everyone dies alone.
"These are the final days of our decline".
HERE



On a much happier note here is Death's "For All The World To See". I heard these tracks a few months ago, posted on some message board saying that these guys were a proto punk group from Detroit in the early to mid 70s, and it's incredibly apparent upon hearing this that these guys were way ahead of their time. Alice Cooper meets The New York Dolls, brings us heartfelt, angry, politically charged punk rock, before anyone - even themselves knew what punk rock was. If only shit like this had caught on instead of The Sex Pistols, ugh.

HERE

2 comments:

  1. Really nice and interesting post. I was looking for this kind of information and enjoyed reading this one. Keep posting. Thanks for sharing.
    factech.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I genuinely enjoyed reading it, you may be a great author.
    I will be sure to bookmark your blog and may come back in the foreseeable future.
    I want to encourage that you continue your great writing.

    ReplyDelete