Sunday, April 19, 2009

mastodon and armalite

i feel like posting more on this, because i can. i don't have to work for the next 5 days and i'm ridiculously excited for that. and by that, i mean doing nothing.

i kinda feel obligated to mention the latest Mastadon CD here, although I also won't post a link to it. I have really honestly barely heard any of this band's prior material, but I've heard "Crack The Skye" is a departure from their former works, and it's obvious they stepped in the right direction. Obviously recently very prog influenced, Mastodon noodle, soar, and trudge through the albums seven tracks, which contrastingly to the band's earlier work(that I've heard) place huge emphasis on melody and atmosphere, their chops are impeccable, with drummer Brann Dallor being the highlight, dude keeps the pace in a way you really rarely hear. That isn't to say their guitarists are slouches at all; some of the most creative riffs and progressions I've heard in a long time are contained on this LP, with the two guitarists sharing rhythm and lead roles. Their vocal stylings have also changed, to a very haunting almost croon, allowing for much more emotion to be conveyed vocally. i don't feel like going on, just get this

another cd i've been listening to a lot lately, Armalite's self titled, with Adam Goren from Atom and his Package and none other than Dr. Dan Yemin who you all know(or should) and some other dudes, who've made probably one of my favorite punk cds as of late. I discovered this cd just randomly downloading cds, having noo clue that it featured the afformentioned musicians, and after a few listens it grew on me intensely, with it's infectious riffs and singalongs, not to mention some very well written lyrics. "
Passive aggression, a marvelous tactic, engrained so much that it's actually automatic." Such a great line. The song "Dan's Hands Melt", although it being 56 seconds long is easily my favorite song on this cd, with an absolutely stellar riff, and a better chorus then I've heard in 99 percent of normal length songs, but I cannot find the lyrics to it anywhere, if anyone has them please let me know.

Armalite - S/T
HERE

1 comment:

  1. Really nice and interesting post. I was looking for this kind of information and enjoyed reading this one. Keep posting. Thanks for sharing.
    factech.

    ReplyDelete